Monday, September 17, 2012

"It's so dang hot... Milk was a bad choice." -Ron Burgundy




17-9-12

Dear Family and friends! 

Thank you so much for the letters! Tiff, bowling does exist here in Brazil. I've only seen it once though, but you said something that struck a perfect chord with me; heck yes I'll go bowling with you guys at that new bowling alley in Meridian. That sounds sweet, I can’t wait. Nana, please oh PLEASE organize a family reunion. Those are my favorite kind of vacations, just because our family is sooo cool. To come home to a family reunion would be the coolest thing ever. Also Tiffy, I got kinda sad reading that KJ had a little bit of a tough time during his first few days in his new school because I remember when we moved to Eagle and I didn't know ANYBODY going into 8th grade, and all the kids in 8th grade were mean. It took me a while to finally find acceptance. But the good thing is how strong the church is in that area. So, finding friends with my same values was easier. In Oregon I didn't really know what it meant to have good quality friends because they just didn't exist at my school. But when we moved to Idaho, as I started to make friends first in our young men's and scouting groups, then later on in Seminary, and then I became the anchorman for our school which really got my name out there since I always acted crazy, and we made funny videos to play in the school-- at that point I had to start choosing selectively who I wanted to be my close friends, instead of just looking for any kind of acceptance. I made lifelong friends that changed my life forever. The key is just to be patient and to have friends that will help lift you up. 

So mom, about that package that you sent me, I know that you said that it was a special package because it didn't just have food. But you have to understand, the packages of food to me ARE special! I miss American food so much! I'm just gaining weight here off of endless rice and beans.

Also, I already asked the person that is living in the house where I left my hymn book and tie about the things I left, and he said that when he got there and saw all the stuff that I left he just threw it all away. I don't believe it though. I mean, c'mon, who would throw away a sweet tie like that and a perfectly good hymn book? Lies. 

Mom, can you do me a favor and send me a recipe on how to make homemade donuts and the frosting? Donuts don't exist here and I want to show my companion the many blessings of this life that he has been missing out on. Its like living without the fullness of the gospel, there are just so many unanswered questions... Also, how do you hard boil eggs without an Egg Timer? I don't know when to take out the eggs. And how do you know if a watermelon is good or not? I would like to buy a watermelon. Mom, you would be jealous. This week I drank real passion fruit juice, and ate real passion fruit ice cream. It was soooooo stinking good.

It’s starting to get so hot here, super hot. I am back to sweating all day every day, and tossing and turning in damp sheets at night because of my sweat. 

So what’s new... Oh I found Bacon Ramen- yeah, like I'm NOT going to be eating that all day.

Happy Birthday Jack (late) and Mom (early)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been meaning to tell Jack happy birthday for a while now, but I just kept forgetting. Sorry! I love that little guy. I can’t wait to play Mario with him when I get back. And mom, another year but don't look a thing like it. But it’s clear that your wisdom grows every year. You know that I love you more that words can express mom. I often still think about my last few minutes with you at the airport, how I was fine an hour before I boarded the plane, heck, even excited to be going out there. But when that hug came, I was just brought to tears thinking that that hug would be the last for two years, and the hugs from mothers are the best thing in the world. Now I am just trying to keep my promise that I made as I was walking away; that I will return with honor.


God Speed

Elder Smidt X

No comments:

Post a Comment