Monday, September 3, 2012

Churrasco!


 3-9-12

Well, thank you for all the emails. It’s interesting that it was declared officially that “caffeine” is not prohibited in the church. But something tells me that the judgments of members that don't drink caffeine for those that do, will still continue. I encourage everyone to read "The Miracle of Forgiveness". President Kimball really gets into the subject of judging others. It’s so good.

As for the tip about prayer, thank you, but I've already been living by that principle since my first month on the mission. I’ve discovered that asking for blessings is not like calling Domino's asking for a delicious, large, pepperoni pizza (I really want pizza right now) then just hanging up the phone waiting for it to arrive. Prayer is a conversation, and like any conversation, you explain the situations and why you are in need of some things. The other most important part that I've learned about prayer is that since it’s a conversation, don't you think the person on the other end of the line would like to speak as well? How many times do we call a good friend or a loved one, and just ask for a  few things, and without waiting for a response, hang up the phone? I would hope that nobody does this. Usually we allow the person on the other end of the phone to talk with us as well. It’s the same thing with prayer. How many times do we ask for things and quickly say amen and jump on our feet and get on with our day? Unfortunately, this is of normal occurrence. But I know that our loving Heavenly Father would like to communicate with us as well. He would like to share His endless love with us and comfort us in our day to day trials.

How can our Heavenly Father communicate with us? Heavenly Father is not limited in ways that he can share his thoughts with us, and no man has the authority to put limits on our Father, but I do know that one great way that he communicates with us, is through the blessing of the Holy Ghost. We see that in the bible, the fruits of the Holy Ghost are: love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith. These are some (not all) of the feelings that we can feel when feeling the holy ghost. Its through feelings like these, that we can know when Heavenly Father is communicating with us. I encourage everyone to make prayers more meaningful by being more specific, but also by waiting after the prayer, while still on your knees, for feelings, communications with our Heavenly Father. I know that he would like to bless you with this feeling, but I know that in our crazy lives it can be hard sometimes to pay attention to feelings like this. If we would just wait and listen after our prayers, all of our testimonies would grow significantly.

Anyways, onto different news. The meat gods have spoken, and its sweet, sweet music... Today, I will be going to a real Brazilian Grill with the other missionaries, eating endless meat. I think I deserve a good meal. It’s been a while.

I am in need of Ties!! I was embarrassed to mention this. I am quite ashamed, but when I was transferred here from Paraíso because of an emergency, I accidentally left a few things behind in the house there because of the hurry I was in. Two of my most favorite things we left behind there; my hymn book in English with my name inscribed on it, and my most beautiful tie that I had from the Howard's. I am so sad that I left that tie behind. I am running out of good ties. I did see a photo of Jason wearing a beautiful baby blue and yellow tie and think he should send it to me. Also if you guys see cool ties send me some please. I don't like big wide ties, it reminds me of a clown or John Smidt.

Still waiting for a picture of our house! Get that done while the plants are still green! So I heard that some people here have been talking with Tiff on Facebook? Is that true or are they just Facebook stalking her?

Thank you for the email dad. I always look forward to your inspirational words that are strong like eagle powers. 

Love you all!

God Speed
Elder Smidt X


PS.
I forgot to send some photos, but here are a few. We went to the restaurant today, and it was soo good I literally couldn’t stop myself. I threw up afterwards I ate so much. I’m totally serious. Its bad when you don’t have self-control. I’ve never had that happen to me. But it was soooo good, a real Brazilian restaurant. Anyways, we are allowed to play board games so if you send another package, send me "uno" please! I love you.

--
Elder Smidt X




No comments:

Post a Comment