Wednesday, December 28, 2011

número dois (doh-eez)...


12-28-11

      Hello Everyone! I hope everyone had a good Christmas this year. I know I did. I am a little disappointed I couldn’t be Santa this year though, that’s my favorite part of Christmas morning. Fortunately I received Tiffany and Dan’s and Heidi and Bret’s packages. I didn’t receive the Baumgartner’s package or mom and dad’s package until a couple days later, but it was still great to get them none the less. I love every bit of mail I got. Thank you so much everybody for your love. I have the best family! But Christmas was actually very good here, one of the better Christmas' I have ever had just because of how much I felt the spirit. We did not have any general authorities come talk to us, but the talks were still very good and very comforting. Thank you again for all the snacks you have sent me. I actually have more joy sharing my treats with the Brazilian students here because of how interesting they find the American treats that I have. They don’t handle spicy things at all which is kinda funny, and they found it almost impossible to believe at first that the slim Jims were actual packaged meat. After trying to figure it out forever, one Brazilian finally said "Oh! Salami!" and then they all started saying "Oh!" and were laughing it up. They also found the sour belts that I brought from home to be the most interesting, the faces that they were making while eating them was so funny.
      Today we got to go to the temple (we get to go every P-Day, except for last week) and it was such a neat experience. The temple here is beautiful. I bought a big picture of it at the church distribution center. But it was really just neat to be able to go to the temple, when you are on a spiritual high. Really cool experience. On the way though, I was able to see some very interesting things I have not seen since I’ve been here. I finally saw a bunch of those stacked houses that you see in the opening scene of the Incredible Hulk, and piles of what looked like garbage under bridges, but they were actual houses just made out of trash, literally. It was a little bit of a cultural shock for me, and I’m sure I’ll be seeing more of it when I actually get out to the field.
      Well all is good over here, two weeks down and I am definitely starting to pick up the language a lot more, thank you so much for your prayers. I really do appreciate them and I most definitely felt their affect. Last week I progressed so much in the language it’s nothing short of a miracle. I can pray, bear my testimony, teach lessons, and even have basic conversations in Portuguese. I’m loving it. So thank you so much for your help. I know I wouldn’t be able to do it if it weren’t for you and the spirit. I only have 7 more weeks at this C.T.M.!!!! I love it here but I’m already starting to get restless. Darn it.
      One last thing, could you continue to send me Elder VanWagenen’s and Elder Smidt IX 's letters, but to this email account? That would be great. And my box number is 35, sorry I put 34. I love you guys and miss you all!

Love,
Elder Smidt X

No comments:

Post a Comment