Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One February down...


Hello Family and Friends!

       So first off, thank you Nana and Pops for the card. I´m so grateful for the support that I get from the family!

       I forgot to talk about this in my last email, but yes, my first baptism here followed through. It was a really neat experience, even though I didn’t get to perform the ordination, I still felt extremely blessed to be able to witness something that special. But just this past Sunday, I was able to perform a Baptism and it was such an awesome experience. I see a lot of potential in that 11 year old boy that I baptized. He says he wants to go on a mission, he reads his book of Mormon everyday, and marks his favorite scriptures, it just feels good to know that there is change happening in his life for the better and that I was able to play a small role by being the Lords instrument. Really neat. Of course though, I pulled a classic "Jesse", and messed up my first time in saying the Ordinance; took me a second try to get it right in Portuguese :)

       So I had my first two encounters with drunk people this week. There are drunk people everywhere here and it’s actually pretty funny, but this week I had to actually interact with two. Its kinda sad because they are both new investigators and we are trying to teach them that drinking is not the right thing to do, and it’s very disappointing to see them drunk. But the first interaction was with a lady last Friday. We went to the couple’s house and they weren’t home. The man living above her (his house is built on hers) said she was drunk. So we decided we would try to find her. We left the house and started walking down the street and finally found her and her husband, who is a member walking down the street towards us. He was helping her walk because she was REALLY drunk. But anyways, we started walking with them and talking with them when all of the sudden the lady passed out in her husband's arms. Then she started to have like a seizure attack, it was freaky. I had no idea what to do in that situation. Eventually we got her back to her home.

      The other encounter I had was with an investigator we came in contact with two days ago. Yesterday he was drunk, and is was so hard for me not to laugh, because of the way he was talking and trying to keep his balance. I kept having to turn my face away when I started to laugh. But this encounter was also scary because he started to get angry and was pointing at me and saying things that I had no idea what he was saying. While he was pointing at me his hand was so close, every time he wobbled because he was drunk, his finger poked my face. I was scared he was going to attack me. Later my companion explained that he was just talking about how Americans thought they were the head of Zion and now they don’t think so anymore. I don’t know, it didn’t really make a lot of sense.

      Anyways, sorry this letter isn’t very spiritual. I just wanted to kinda let you know what was happening this past week. Love you all!
Elder Smidt X

No comments:

Post a Comment