Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Can't wait!



9-05-2012

Hello Family!

That’s extremely strange that I received a letter in Portuguese from Brittany if she said she didn’t send me one in Portuguese. That most likely means that mission-ties translated it into Portuguese. That’s very strange. Brittany did send me a letter about a new dog named Ruby, right? Weird, but now that I know it’s an error, please don’t write me in Portuguese! I have to deal with enough of it every day of the week. I look forward to English letters.

By the way, I forgot to say thank you for the movie in my chest. I can’t wait to see it in 19 months. Also thank you so much Coley, Jason, and Heidi, Bret for the birthday money. I’ll be sure to buy something ‘real nice like’. I also received my birthday package! Extremely fast! I laughed at the stickers of the Virgin Mary. I saw a package for Elder Pray in the mission office with a giant sticker of Jesus and "Sempre com Deus" written several times on the package, which means "always with God". Obviously his family is following the same method. I’m sorry but I forgot at the time to wait until my birthday to open it. I also wish I could say that I enjoyed the package, but after I opened it, I blacked out and the next thing I remember was waking up in the Jungle surrounded by wrappers, my hand stuck in a peanut butter jar, and only traces of milk duds and beef jerky lining my lips. Thank you so much! But I have a bit of bad news because it will require another package... My president has very strongly encouraged every missionary to get the book "The miracle of forgiveness". I know I won’t be able to find it in Brazil but if you don’t want to send me that book, I totally understand. But if you do decide to send it to me, I lost my triple anti-biotic ointment. Also, when I wrote about sending my green tie, I meant my other green tie - the solid green tie, with very small checkered stitching. Sorry for not being more clear, I thought you would know which tie I was talking about when I said the one from "Homecoming". Also, one more thing. I would love a small Oregon Sticker that I can place behind my name tag.

I’m also still waiting for Teriks address and Jocelynns! They are going to think that I’m ignoring them, please get those to me soon!

Anyways, I've grown so much this week, but it didn’t come without difficulty. This week I was hit with a giant wave of home sickness, out of nowhere, and it hit hard. Maybe it was caused by my upcoming birthday (first one away from home) or maybe because I know that summer is coming up in the States and that’s my favorite time to be with the family. The lake, parks, running, playing with the dogs outside, playing ultimate Frisbee in our back yard, and other fun things. I had a rough time concentrating. But then the thought came to me that the best way to lose that longing for my family in the states, is to love the family I have here. This week I have been trying to love everyone here with all my capacity... It has made a huge difference! I'm back to being happy. And I’m back to loving the work. I love hearing every Brazilian call me "Elder Smich" or "Smichy".  I would be lying if I tried to convince everyone that I’m the perfect missionary who never thinks about home, only about the work; but I can say that I’m trying. And trying is helping a lot!

I love you all and hope that you all have a wonderful mother’s day. I can’t wait to talk to you guys!!!!!!!! Also, my birthday will land on the same day as my 5th month in the mission! I can’t believe it! Time is flying by! Love you guys so much and this mission and this gospel!
Elder Smidt X

No comments:

Post a Comment