Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Congratulations!




    I gotta say, I'm a little surprised right now. This is the first time in 6 months that I haven't received an email from you guys (and I’m a little bummed). But this week I received an awesome card from Britt! I can’t believe it; another baby is on its way! Our family will be twice as big by the time I get home! By the way Britt, transfers are every six weeks, always on a Wednesday. And usually every area has a ward, only a few have branches. And there are no beaches in my area.

    Two days ago we had a Zone Conference and it was awesome! We got to see a video of our new president and his wife. He seems really nice but he said he wouldn't be changing any rules. I also got to see some good friends there. Remember when I talked about the Brazilians in the MTC that taught me different ways to say "gay" in Portuguese? Well I saw a lot of them again at this Zone Conference; it feels like it’s only been a few weeks since I've seen them, not 4 months. It’s crazy! It was also cool to be able to talk to them for the first time in Portuguese. I felt like I was meeting them for the first time. I also realized this conference how grateful I should be about how much of the language I know. I saw an Elder there that had 1 year and 2 months out, and I was able to talk better than him. I don't say that to sound prideful, it just helped me realize that I am doing fine and I need not worry. This past week I also did a two day fast. We aren't allowed to fast for more than 24 hours at a time, so I started fasting after lunch at a members home one day, until the next lunch and then started again until the next lunch. It was extremely hard, especially with all the walking and running that we do in the sun, but I felt so many blessings during that time as well.

     Also this week I saw something that I've only seen in movies before. Me and my companion were walking on a skinny street in a Favela, and we saw a police car starting to turn a corner at the same time a motorcyclist was turning the same corner from the opposite side. But once they were both in view of each other, all of a sudden the police car hit the gas trying to pin the motorcyclist against the cement wall. The motorcyclist yanked the throttle barely escaping the police car, and started to speed away. As the Police car peeled backwards with screeching wheels, the other police man in the passenger side of the car jumped out of the car and tried to chase the motorcyclist on foot, stopped after about ten feet, pulled out his pistol and right when he was aiming at the motorcyclist, the motorcyclist turned a corner, escaping death. But the police car hauled off after him with its sirens blasting. My companion said if the police man had a second more, he would have shot. Which is weird because there were people around and I thought police didn't shoot in public, but obviously things are different here.

    That's all I have for now, I will add pictures in my next email. I forgot my flash drive. I hope all goes well for Elder Smidt IX as he makes his good-byes.

Love you! God Speed
Elder Smidt X

No comments:

Post a Comment