Monday, August 20, 2012

This guy...


Well this letter will be short. I’m sorry, but I had to write a long email to the president about some things that have been happening. 

What I learned from teaching with the assistants was a lot of things, but the greatest thing I learned was how to teach with more love and to really listen to what the people have to say and then start building on from what they believe. Its a lot easier to convert someone when you know their background and you start your teaching at that point and then gradually slide into true doctrine, rather than just dumping the whole lot of what we believe on their plate. Its often too much to handle, and when this is done, they may reject the message. But when you teach with them (saying inspired thoughts then asking them an inspired question, they will start to teach themselves with their own thoughts) it works out way better. 

In this branch, the members are more or less active. The mission leader in the branch doesn’t do anything for us, which a real drag. Help from the ward is one of the greatest blessings (BTW Dad, you should always offer the missionaries help bringing people to church activities or what not, it’s such an awesome blessing; and mom, you should be always offering the missionaries lunch or dinner, you don’t understand how helpful it is to the young men to have a mother in the area that shows them love). But the ward is pretty weak. I had to give a talk a couple weeks ago in sacrament meeting. I went up there with my scriptures, a hymn book, and the spirit and taught for about 10 minutes on Charity. It was actually surprisingly good and I felt way full of the spirit. I’ve already had to teach the gospel principles class several times because there is no teacher, so the missionaries just teach it. But I’ve never prepared a lesson, just went with the spirit and I haven’t had a bad lesson yet. 

Who baptized a 7 year long investigator yesterday? THIS GUY!! (imagine me pointing my thumbs at myself while wearing a tight leather jacket, with ray-bans, and really greasy slicked over hair) 

Well I gotta go, but I love you guys a lot! 

God Speed

Elder Smidt X

No comments:

Post a Comment