Monday, October 8, 2012

300 days....


Dear Family And Friends,

     This week has been good. I loved the talks during general conferences. I think that my favorite talk was during the first session Sunday, by Jeffrey R Holland. I love his talks. Mom, if you think that not being able to watch the talks live and having to watch them recorded kind of stinks, try watching it in a different language. I'm so lucky to have had the opportunity to watch it, but it’s not even close to being the same as hearing them first hand. The people translating don’t do a good job of translating the humor. You don’t get to hear the people laugh. But what really kind of stinks, is you don’t get to hear the emotion of the speakers, the tears, etc. All you hear is a monotone voice translating the words. Its still great, but not the same. We were able to bring several investigators to the meeting, three of them were teenage boys that we met on the street. Im not sure if the conference was really up their alley, but hey, I tried.

    Saturday afternoon, the other missionaries had a baptism but forgot to fill up the water in the font. As we were about to leave the conference, we heard that the baptismal font was empty but there was a baptism in thirty minutes. My companion and I decided that we would help to fill up the font. We were running back and forth carrying buckets of water trying to help fill up the tank. It took about 40 minutes and a lot of sweat to get it filled.

     So I've been slowly losing weight just by rationing my food better during lunches. This wednesday I will reach 300 days! Three hundred is a cool number because some people made a movie called "300" about my life. And this Sunday I will be hitting my 10 month mark. I will be making a lot of Jell-O to celebrate.

     I finally got some hand written letters done and sent them out with more news and details about my mission. I’m sorry it has taken me so long to get letters done. Im glad you guys had a good trip to the Ducks game. I would have really liked to go. I really miss them but there is work to do here. But don’t worry, I’m spreading two kinds of the good word here in Brazil! Baptisms, and my companion now has an Oregon Ducks sticker behind his name tag. So, you see, we are doing lots of good works in Brazil.

     God Speed
Elder Smidt X

P.S. I would like to just say how extremely happy I am that I have a chest being filled with all of all my favorite things I am missing while on my mission. I would also like to express my long felt love for a certain video game called "Halo". I think that it is so fascinating how Uncle Tim, Aunt Janet and their family all pitched in to buy a Halo game for John while he was on his mission. Seeing how our family is so cool, I suspect that Halo 4, which comes out sometime soon, will also find its way into the chest. And I especially love the fact that usually when you pre-order the Halo games using "Best Buy”, they always throw in a really cool bonus feature on the game. And I'm pretty sure that John loves this too, and if you guys have any questions or need any assistance, he'd love to be of help for you guys. Way to go fella's!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment