Monday, October 15, 2012

The big guy on campus...


Hello Family and Friends,

     I thought that I should start off getting my requests out of the way. Please send me a picture of me eating the homemade sandwich that I made my last week home. I would like to show it to my companions and the people that I teach. Also, I am sorry to say this, but I no longer am in possession of the watch that was given me by the Howard Family before I left. After breaking the front face, it was already reaching its mourning days, but then when the battery died, I thought about just taking it in to get the battery replaced and just keep on keepin' on, but then one of the young men that is preparing to serve a mission told me that he wanted a watch for his mission, but that they were all too expensive. I told him to take my watch and use it; replacing the battery would be a lot cheaper that buying a new one. I'm very sorry Tiffy that I don’t have that cool watch anymore, but I want you to know that it went towards a good purpose.

      Well, the Big President came this week and it was awesome! He is such a neat guy and very funny. He decided that it would be easier for him to come here than for all of us in our zone to go to BH. It was the smallest zone conference that I’ve ever been to ( 8 missionaries) and it was my first Zone Conference where I was the only American. I liked the Zone Conference way more this way because of the personalness. We got to talk with him during the conference, like it was more of a conversation than it was a conference, resolving all of our doubts, problems, and questions. It was really cool. Then for lunch we all went to a Rodízio, all you can eat steak and a bunch of other meats. It was gooood, and then afterwards we got to have personal interviews with him. It was a really cool experience.

      I was telling my companion that it was a good idea in my opinion that they lowered the ages for young men and women to serve missions. I've seen too many times when teenage boys get out of high school and use their new found liberty to get into bad things and screw up their life. I think that the sooner they can leave after high school, the better. And for women also. I know that A LOT more women will be serving now with this change. 21 years was such a long wait.

    So yesterday we had a baptism and it was really cool how we were able to baptize her. We weren’t able to get a hold of Patricia ( our investigator) for almost a whole week and we thought that she must have just been avoiding us. We started to give up, but didn’t have any investigators to bring to church Sunday, so we just decided that we would pass by her house to see if we could bring her to the church. Luckily she was finally in the house. While we were walking with her to the church, she gave us a bunch of reasons for why she wasn’t able to talk to us forever. In my mind I was just thinking, "yeah, nice try, but I know that you’re just telling us lies and excuses." But as we were arriving at the church, she turned to us and said, “so today’s my day right?” I was kind of puzzled and just said, "what?" and she said, “todays the day that I’ll be baptized, right?" I kinda just froze up and was shocked that she actually had a sincere interest to be baptized still. I tried to not let my jaw hit the ground. When I collected my senses I said, “well sure you can be baptized today, but we still need to teach you some of the commandments before you can be baptized”. She told us to teach them to her right then. I taught her about tithing and the Sabbath Day, and then I talked with my Zone Leaders so that they could have an interview with her and decide if she was ready to be baptized. It all worked out perfectly except for that the Baptismal Font didn’t have any water. It was back to the buckets and running back and forth down the hallways getting it filled.

    But anyways, those are my experiences from this week. There is a picture of the baptism and the zone conference attached.

God Speed!
Elder Smidt X



No comments:

Post a Comment