Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Craziest Week Yet...


27-06-12

      Well, I am really starting to get the hang of being Senhor now, it feels natural. I have been doing work here in Paraíso! The elders before us left this area a mess. The area books were totally out of order. It was a greater apostasy than that which proceeded after the death of Christ. (Well almost) But my companion, the leader of the work, and I re-enacted the story of Mormon and compiled all the books and papers into one. I received a list of all the members (active and less-active) and marked every member that was baptized alone, without their families. My purpose was to pass by every one of them and try to convert the families, because we all know that this Gospel is centered on families. I was also able to find, with the help of the Lord, 5 new investigators this past week. Everything seemed to be going well. But remember when I once mentioned that right when you start to feel comfortable, the Lord switches things up for you? Well, last Thursday I was thrown into a storm of events. Let me explain.

     Thursday night I received a call from the president that I needed to head on over to the mission office as fast as I could. I would be making a division with an Elder there because his companion was sick. I quickly took my companion and headed over to the mission office, picked up new temporary companion, left Elder G. Almeida at the Office and headed back to my area to try to teach more people before the night was over. We arrived back in our area just in time to teach a few lessons and receive a new investigator. This temporary elder (Elder Lustosa) was awesome, he teaches like a boss. I learned so much in just a few hours of teaching with him. He then slept in my companion’s bed that night and the next morning we headed back to the Office. When we arrived at the office I received news that my companion (Elder G. Almeida) was not supposed to be with me. There was a mix-up when assigning companions. My companion was supposed to be Elder De Almeida (remember "De" in Portuguese sounds like "Gee"). So we quickly headed back to our house, picked up all the baggage for my companion, and headed back to the office. Once there I picked up my companion, Elder De Almeida, and we headed back to Paraíso. Once we were able to understand each other’s teaching tactics we worked with each other well, finding 4 more investigators this week. BUT, last night I received a call that there would be an emergency transfer again, but this time with me. My mission president told me that I would be serving in Montes Claros (about 9 hours away by bus) and my new companion would be Elder Szpikula. He has one year and a half on the mission but I will be senhor again. It’s weird, I hope that this doesn't raise conflicts, me being senhor and him having 3 times the amount of time than me on the mission. I am not sure exactly how my area will be. I heard that it is hot there. But I will miss Paraiso. It’s awesome here, the perfect combination of city and favelas. And the people are awesome! This ward is strong and it reminds me of an American ward . Definitely nicer than my last area. And the food is actually REALLY good here. Not just rice, beans and chicken every day. Still rice and beans but there are other dishes here that are really good. I will miss it here.

      Happy birthday Nana Raine!!!! I hope you have a fantastic birthday and that you will be able to water ski as well. That picture of Pops and dad was awesome. I am glad that they had a good trip. But nobody said anything about if they caught a Great White or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if the other thing they were able to catch was a gold fish.

      I don’t know how different it will be in Montes Claros but I hope that there will be a post office close by so that I can continue to send letters home. I finally received the tapes!!! I’m so glad because I don’t know when will be the next time I will receive mail, since I will live so far away from the office. 

      Well, a miracle happened this week. I ate at McDonald's this week. Walking in the city I saw the golden Arches and just couldn't resist its beauty. I bought myself a Quarter pounder and a McChicken. The food is a bit more pricey here than in the states. A dollar menu doesn't exist. I had my doubts that the burger would be as good, but those doubts vanished and I was in HEAVEN while eating it. I wrote a poem for you guys about my experience. 

                          Quarterão

Feeling the warmth of you in my hands
is just like before, but in different lands.

As you are brought to my lips,
I can only hope one thing.
Though while on the grill you did some flips,
I desire that my taste buds may still ring.

As quickly as my fears here came, 
taking that first bite they quickly vanished.
Even though you have a different name,
Your degree of Glory shall never be banished.

Quarterão, I have three words for you,
"I love you"
I do
I do

God Speed!

Elder Smidt X

No comments:

Post a Comment