Thursday, July 5, 2012

Montes Claros


5-07-12

Well hello there!

Happy Fourth of July everybody!!! I hope all of you are able to stuff yourselves with BBQ and Root beer! I will have to eat some Churrasco (BBQ) today as well. I will definitely miss the fireworks that we had in our neighborhood. Probably my favorite part about our neighborhood. I remember that about this time last year I was buying fireworks with Bryan and later that night Dad, Bryan, and me were shooting roman candles at each other. I love being an idiot.

Happy Birthday to Tiffany and Dad!!!! I will send out letters today for you guys. I totally forgot about you guy's birthdays, but yesterday when I unpacked my calendar, I was reminded. I'm sorry! Don't get too old while I'm gone!

By the way I got my fourth of July package and I loved it. I thought that it was funny that for the description you put "missionary supplies" on the package, but it was just filled with food. :) I guess in all reality, there is no better definition for missionary supplies than food. The beef jerky was to die for, and as for the Chicken crackers? I was on a plane of enlightenment.

My new companion is awesome! I was wrong, he doesn't have a year and a half, only a year. But it still makes it a little awkward for me to be senhor. I guess he and his companion made a mistake (probably watched a little TV in a members home) and they are both Junior companions now.

Montes Claros is good, but I liked Paraiso more, there was a lot more potential there. The LDS church has a horrible rap here in Montes Claros. Some people think that the missionaries have children's heads in our backpacks. It’s hard to find a person here that doesn't hate the church. I'm not sure what happened here to create such a bad atmosphere for the missionaries. But it will definitely be harder to find people to teach. Here in Montes Claros, it’s a LOT dryer than B.H. There are no hills. There is the city, the center of Montes Claros, then the outskirts. The city is nice, looks like a U.S. city, but the area outside of the city is soooooo poor. With the dusty roads and the old brick buildings, it looks like the setting in which Nacho Libre took place. I've seen a lot of weird things in the outskirts. Sunday when we went to pick up a recent convert, I saw someone on the sidewalk going number two, totally bare bottom, with no shame. Geeze.

Will batman really be released this month? I can’t believe it!!! That will be the first movie that I will watch after the mission. I’m including photos of my buzz cut for you guys. A family in Paraiso all buzzed their hair and I gave into temptation and buzzed my hair with them. My companion in those photos is Elder G. Almeida. I was not able to take a photo with Elder De Almeida during the time that we were together. 

By the way, you asked if my baptism with Ataidi was my second baptism? I'm sorry I haven't been talking more about my baptisms, but as of right now I have 13. If you want I will start mentioning them more, but I figure that every missionary talks about baptisms so I never really thought it to be of importance for you guys. I am a little frustrated with myself because I haven't had a baptism in over a month now. And it’s not like when the Zone Leader calls and I explain to him what’s going on that he just says "It’s alright Elder, the Lord knows you're trying and sooner or later he will bless you for your efforts." As much as I would like to hear things like that, what I really hear is "Where is your faith Elder!?!? It’s clear that miracles happen through faith, and this mission is full of miracles! Get to work and hope that the Lord will help your faith!" You may think I'm joking or exaggerating, but this happens. 

Well, that's about it for now. I love you all and hope that you have a good 4th of July. Tell John I'm still waiting for his letter! 

God Speed

Elder Smidt X






No comments:

Post a Comment